View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi ABBB, Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBB View Post
My NS told me that there is a 90% chance of improvement....with the actual improvement in pain being 50%. IF that is true, I would think that the surgery would be worthwhile.
If there's only a 50% chance of actual improvement in pain, what's the 90% chance of improvement in - the surgeon's standard of living?

Most people who even consider spinal surgery do it in hopes of alleviating pain, paralysis, or something life-threatening; what other reason is there to chance going under the knife? And 50/50 is, IMO, pretty much a crapshoot. My surgeon advised against surgery for that very reason with similar odds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failed_back_syndrome

There are many options in pain management between PT and surgery, and many that don't necessarily involve daily narcotic medications (though those aren't necessarily the evil they're made out to be either - they provide a quality of life for many that's otherwise impossible).

You read about more bad outcomes than good outcomes because it's the people with bad outcomes who have reason to find support groups and write about them. People with good outcomes are continuing with their lives, and have (no offense to anyone here, but it's natural and true) better things to do.

Were your 3 courses of PT with the same therapist? IME their knowledge, skill, and experience can vary as much as any doctor's, and finding the right therapist can make as much difference as finding the right doctor.

I DO hope you've gotten at least 2 opinions, and asked about alternatives like ED, MED, pain management, and any others. Doctors base their recommendations on what THEY are knowledagable and experienced in doing - not what another surgeon may be able to do more easily/safely. (It's not like Miracle on 34th Street with Macy sending customers to Gimbels.)

Google: questions to ask neck surgery

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 02-11-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: wording
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote