Thread: Rsd vs raynauds
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ummm...I don't think your physiatrist knows much at all about CRPS. It can and does affect both sides of the body in many people, some have it full body, some even have it internally. Using a block to try to diagnose whether it is CRPS or not is foolish in my opinion. Many people do not respond to blocks and the longer you have it the less likely it is to help. After 6 months there is a significant drop off in the number of people who get relief from a block and it just goes down from there. Don't get me wrong...a block may be a good idea because it may help and is not as invasive as some other treatment options...but anyone who believes it is an effective way to rule CRPS in or out is not someone who I would trust my care to now that I know better. I think some of the information you have been given by this physiatrist is inaccurate and/or misleading. CRPS is not well understood by many but the few things you have said here are red flags for me when I talk to doctors that indicate to me that they are not very knowledgeable. Sounds like he is very confident in his information and that would make me, as a patient, very nervous because I would rather have someone who admits they don't know everything that one that THINKS they do and is mistaken.

As I said...I think the block is still probably a good idea but I would be cautious about letting this physiatrist lead you off the path of proper treatment for CRPS because he thinks it is something else based on his inaccurate (in my opinion) ideas about CRPS. Just be careful and don't believe everything he says just because he is a doctor...look into things for yourself and ask questions about the things that you are not sure about.

Stay positive and just keep moving forward in your struggle against this thing. I am sorry that you have to live with so much pain and I hope that you are able to find relief soon.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-11-2012)