View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Gosh. Gosh. Gosh.

Welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups.

I'm extremely sorry though that this terribly worrying situation has brought you here but you will find a very caring group of people here.

I didn't know where to start to write a reply for you really, so I have quoted the questions you posted at the end and will just give my humble opinions after reading your post but knowing nothing else.

Quote:
I don't know where to turn for help. I know he is being treated and will soon get feedback fromt he facility and I have already lined up after care and plan to speak to his school and the boy scouts for additional support but is that the right thing to do?
I would think so.

I would speak with the professionals who are treating your son and ask them for help for you and your son as a team. Like marriage counsellling when one needs help and advice except this is family counselling. You and your son are your family.

Quote:
I am hurt, mad, confused, baffled, and not sure what to do. I am single and my son comes home from school and is by himself for about an hour and a half before I get here. I don't know what I may have missed in his behaviour that would have given me an indication that he was contemplating this. Can I leave him alone? Do I need to try and change schools?
I would not leave him alone at home. He's too young and been through so much. If it's impossible to be there for him yourself, perhaps you can organize some after school care either at home with a trusted person or in another environment.

Why change schools? You mean because of the bullying? You shouldn't need to remove your son from his school because they are failing in dealing with the bullying in the school enviroment. There should be a policy showing zero tolerance for bullying. There should in my own opinion be a type of pastoral care for all students where they learn how to care and nuture each despite differences.

Bullying is a very, very complex issue. The bullies tend to be experts in picking up on sensitivity or difference in the bullied.

There are some techniques you can teach your son to allow the bullying to bounce off him more. I recall my son's counsellor when he was being bullied used to use paintings and such to allow him to get it all out in a non-verbal manner. A skilled counsellor should be already doing those things with your son.

Just curious... does the school know about the bullying that's been going on with your son?
It's really really helpful to develop a close relationship with the staff at school. I'm not sure how that works where you live, but I "think" you mentioned your son was in a gifted programme... talk to the person running that. They'd be sure to have some feedback for you about how to go about getting your son back to school and keeping that a safe environment to learn and also to develop peer relationships that are healthy for your son.

Quote:
Other questions I have are:

Should I attempted to have his mother involved in his recovery?
My first answer would always be an automatic yes, but I don't know the situation. I really think you should be asking a professional counsellor these questions. Someone who perhaps knows your former wife and you and your son.

Quote:
How do I stop feeling like I have done something wrong or missed something?
That's natural. My son attempted to harm himself when he was a similar age. Younger actually. Circumstances were a little different due to certain complex health issues he was dealing with and also due to the fact that he was being bullied badly, horribly, at school.

Quote:
I know intelectually this is not my fault but how do I get past that?
Time and the healing of your son. Working on the direction forward for your son is the key now.

Quote:
How can I believe it would ever be ok to leave him alone again?
I wouldn't leave him alone. He's 12 and emotionally vunerable.

Quote:
I know there are more questions and problems but I am just so drained and confused right now that I don't know how to figure any of it out. I am seeking help for him and me, individually and together but I just feel so alone and have very little help or support.
You must find help and support. For yourself. For your son. For both of you together.

Quote:
Thanks and if there is any advice anyone could give I would appreciate it.

Also, sorry for the poor spelling. I'm a math guy.
No apologies needed. Nothing wrong with being a math guy.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (02-13-2012), Alffe (02-13-2012), barbo (02-13-2012), Doody (02-21-2012), ginnie (02-13-2012)