View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default This could be a whole new second hand thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
G'day friend.

I was the first to reply to your original thread. I feel I need to reply now.

I wish your grandson a safe return home. I do understand your concerns and fears.

Your post was unsettling to me. I guess the words "war", "ICBMs", "riots", "no infrastracture" tend to be unsettling as surely you would understand.

I had a father who was a POW on the Burma Railway for almost the whole of the second world war. In fact my father was in the ditches in Singapore being attacked before Pearl Harbour was attacked. He survived. Well, I guess you call it survive. He made it back here after those years so I guess that was survival. Here I am. I keep surviving because of him, a man I never knew. I don't want to prepare for ICBMs, frankly because it wouldn't do any good.

Heck, tell me more about your ingenious fireplace. Tell me more about your tricks for keeping food safe in times of drought and floods.

Please don't imagine that we here don't understand the state of the world or think about the future.
My Dad volunteered as a family man when he didn't have to go to WWII .. got his first Purple Heart when he and two buddies just walked three blocks from their ship in Scotland and a buzz bomb blew out the stained glass windows of a church .. was pinned on the beaches of Normandy until farm boys welded a cat blade on the front of a US tank and it crashed through a hedge row and caught two tanks and four machine gun nests flat footed .. the riot of the hedge rows commenced.

He took his carbine into church in Germany for two Sundays until he trusted them enough to go to church with them without it .. I studied the Effects of Nuclear Weapons in the Navy .. concussion can blow out house windows and rain Nuclear Waste down on asphalt shingles and one's carpet can catch nuclear waste if you don't have material to patch your windows .. it .. being a preparedness freak .. can actually get rather involved .. if you know the back flow of a concussion type bomb is more devastating than the out flow .. everything is weakened and ready to fall down.

So, (with my Navy training) I'm like my son who had a major concussion skiing last year and then did an end for end in my Subaru Wagon and got at least two more .. concussions are cumulative and this will multiply the damage .. He was looking at several felonies after the crash because of non normal behavior (pulled a Glock on me when I told him to phone the accident in) and praise the Lord the D.A. (woman) went on the net when I told her I didn't feel a concussion should be the basis for a felony, studied the effects of concussion and dropped all his felony charges .. can you believe that?

The Tangled Webs .. we weave.

Hats off to all servicemen.
KamasPrairie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (03-09-2012)