View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi DJ,
I was DX with MG last spring - my Dr has rec a thymectomy and 3 weeks ago I sought a second opinion and am still waiting for results of tests. So bear in mind what I say in response may not be MG entirely but I feel pretty confident it is.
I started having trouble swallowing and would tire eating food when I was about age 20. I thought everyone felt this way so not concerned. Fast forward to age 37 and I changed jobs into a high sales atmosphere - a lot of talking. I would get terrible sore throats by noon and almost could not speak. Today I look back and think I was pushing muscles that did not want to be pushed perhaps??? So changed jobs after five rough years.
Now symptoms got better, but came and went. I would tire speaking and avoided meetings where I had to speak and family events as well. I was also careful eating in public so I didn't start choking and embarrass myself...
Now last 5 years many other symptoms have popped up. Extreme fatigue, tremors, balance issues driven by sight problems etc. I again avoid going out in public for meals and events if I feel I may have issues. An example would be getting dressed up and having to sit at some banquet perhaps where it would be obvious to many if I got sick.
I will sum my thoughts up by saying: to others, most of us appear healthy, when in reality inside we want to scream and say I am miserable! Many of the neuro diseases rob you of being able to truly express to others how mentally challenging it is to cope with something that is almost invisible to others. So many times it takes away the simple joys we can experience in life and those are sometimes the best ones...
If any good has come from this disease I will say I am a better person today for not judging others by what I see and instead listen to what they are truly saying...
I hope this helps and others chime in.. Good Luck!
Smokey56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (02-13-2012)