View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Oculogyric crisis

Hi to both of you that have had issues with this problem. I'm sincerely hoping the information I am about to give can be helpful to you all. My fiancée was in a coma for 2 weeks in December of 2011 believed to be caused by a carbon monoxide leak. Which after doing some research can be a cause of different types of Dystonia. She was diagnosed with ARDS(Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) Upon coming out of the coma she was suffering from ICU Psycosis. The proper way to treat that is to allow time for the synapses within the brain to start refiring & connect back to reality. She was treated with anti-psycotics(Haldol & Reglin). We believe this could have been the cause of her onset of Dystonia(particularly Oculargyric Crisis). She was given a recovery time of 12-24 months. When she has an episode it seems to be brought on by a possible number of things including fatigue, stress, among other things. Common treatments Ive researched are Benadryl & some Benzos. Although Ive also read that the Benzos can bring on an episode. One medication in particular that i've seen no information on or rwccomendations for it being used as a treatment is Hydrocodone. I would not have believed it if I had not seen firsthand the honestly amazing effects it had in not only stopping the episode once it was occuring, but I have seen it keep the effects from even occuring. Based on the research I've done on Dystonia & Hydrocodone I believe the reason it helps is due to Hydrocodone being a blood thinner. I am by no means a trained physician or anything of the sort. What causes the onset from what I've read is swelling in that particular part of the brain. Other blood thinners may be a possible help or treatment, but there is so little currently known about this disorder. If you all are still having problems or have gathered any new information or would just like to talk to someone that has been through the same pain that you have please contact us. If anyone reading this could give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Shattuck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote