View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default TENS Unit experience

I've been interested in a TENS unit and/or ultrasound therapy, but without knowing anything about them or really how to use them, I'm scared; plus I don't know what brands, etc are the best if they do work?

I have had 20 major spinal surgeries since I was 12 and I am now 48 - I have severe sciatic nerve pain and have tried all the remedies you listed plus about 1000 more.

The TENS units are wonderful. If you are disciplined and use it correctly - make sure the person you obtain the unit from tells you how to use it - for example - if you use it at a constant rate for long periods you brain gets used to it and it doesn't work as effectively - TENS has several options for pain interruption signals - play with them and change it up often and it has worked wonders for me.

Also, there are stretches for sciatic nerve pain - that truly help - go online and research this and try the various stretches - and do them religiously!

I also began meditation - I didn't believe in it and tried it many times before since I was 12 years old - and now I spend at least 30 min (two 15 min sessions each day) during which I practice meditation.

Meditation is many different things - and once you learn the correct breathing - and apply it - your entire life changes....however all these practices require extreme discipline - don't give up after one week or even two weeks of practice -

Whether it is exercise, TENS or meditation - you can make your life what you want it to be - if you knew my history - you wouldn't believe that I am even saying this kind of stuff - I learned the hard way -

I hope you research ultrasound and everything else you can before you take any drugs or have surgery - I have been on the pain pump for 10 years and now it is removed....I have been on narcotic therapy since 1998 - and every other kind of drug in the book......

I am currently trying to retrain my brain to learn to function on low doses or no meds at all - and I have severely impinged nerves, arachnoiditis, failed back syndrome, stenosis, radiculopathy, disc degeneration and every disc in my spine is ruptured, torn, herniated and/or bulging etc....

If I can do this with the negative thinking I have - anyone can do it - retrain your brain to do whatever and live however you want......Thinkit - DOit!

K
thinkitdoit7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote