View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanitad View Post
My face muscles were the first to go about 12 years ago. I noticed I had difficulty chewing anything that was not soft (steak, apple, etc) and also, that I would wake up with my pillow soaked with saliva. Also, I started to choke a lot more; I put it down to "swallowing down the wrong pipe", but I now know that I was having difficulty swallowing at all.

After diagnosis, I did okay with medications for about 5 years before I started having more difficulties with mg overall. The last 2-3 years, I have had more and more difficulty with talking. I am an accountant and one of the tasks I enjoyed the most about my job was training new staff members and holding training seminars for the entire office so they would understand the reports the accounting department produced. I started losing my voice while I was talking and when you can't talk above a whisper, it is difficult to talk in front of a group, so I had to turn that over to my assistant. Also, talking on the phone when you can't speak above a whisper is impossible.

I retired about 14 months ago on disability and my speech problems were one of the reasons.

My family understands and they can tell before I can that my voice is going and they tell me in the nicest possible way to "shut up". However, I live alone and don't have anyone to talk to during the day, so when I do get visitors, I can't seem to shut up! Oh well...

Good luck with your seminar!
Thank you Juanitad! I'm glad you were able to get disability. The "shut up" part of your post made me giggle! We sometimes do that to my husband too
djvallejo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote