View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Hi, daililyfan:

Quote: "Although I use "RSD" - I don't like that it has the word sympathetic in it. Makes me wonder if when hearing that, people think we are folks who fake a disease to get sympathy. I had RSD before "CRPS" became popular - and it is hard for me to change. My doctors have all called it RSD - unless they made a written report or letter for me, and then they called it CRPS."

What I like best in the term RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) is when it is called RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome). The two problems I have with the term CRPS (Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome) are:
1) I keep being confused between CRPS Type 1 and CRPS Type 2. I can only hope it is not my memory problems causing this confusion.
2) I have the feeling that with the trem CRPS, the emphasis is placed on the pain. You will see why later. Even if we, as RSD or CRPS patients, know chronic pain is our main RSD or CRPS symptom, I would prefer a term that also includes other important symptoms. I am saying this because, with the term CRPS, a lot of medical professionals place emphasis on the pain. I have heard remarks like: "It is just pain. It is not a big deal. It is not like you have cancer..." Grrr... I hate hearing this, especially from medical professionals, who are supposed to know what CRPS is.

To say the truth, my favorite term is neither RSD nor CRPS, but a term used a lot in France, and maybe in other European countries. I do not know if this term is used in the U.S. It is algoneurodystrophy, shortened as AND (A stands for algo, N stands for neuro, and D stands for dystrophy. I think that each individual has its favorite term, depending on his/her feelings and experiences with them.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote