View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 11:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cogentin

Hi, Paula...as I told you, Doreen was to have started taking the Cogentin yesterday but was reluctant to start it. Her neurologist told her that it would be her decision as to if/when she wanted to start it since it is a medication that can be taken or not...as needed...in her case, when the tremor became a problem for her while working with her doctor. She has been taking the DM (cough medicine that some here at the forum have taken and have noticed a marked improvement in their PD symptoms)...and, in fact, Doreen thought that she was much more able to get out of a seated position since taking the DM. HOWEVER...she just called me and said that she had had a bad experience this morning while at work. She wasn't able to focus her eyes...there seemed to be spots on the carpet that are really not there...and she said she was really very scared. They took her blood pressure, and it was extremely low (90/57)...her blood pressure usually "runs" about 120/75-80 so that this was NOT a good reading for her. Now, if she had taken the Cogentin, we both most certainly would have attributed the very low blood pressure to that...so that the only thing that could possibly have caused this "episode" seems to have been the DM. I guess this is somewhat similar to your experience with the Cogentin..."worked" well for the PD symptoms, but resulted in the psychosis. We are disappointed because the DM SEEMED to be "working" well for her. When we saw her neurologist on Friday, he was not adverse to her trying the DM but he cautioned against side effects...so, she will not be taking the DM. As for the Benadryl...this may be something that she will try in the future. I guess the Cogentin might be worth a trial inasmuch as it is specifically geared to controlling tremor and, too, it can be used "as needed"...no need to gradually titrate off it....so, that's my "story" for today, Paula...thank you, again, for your interest and input. It has occurred to me that I haven't asked about you and how you're doing with the PD. I would be very interested to know, Paula.

Therese

P.S. Steve will be disappointed, I think, to know about what we "think" was Doreen's reaction to the DM. He has been interested in this...what her "neuro" had to say about it, etc.
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote