View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cogentin

Hi, Paula...I just wrote you a rather lengthy post which seems to have disappeared...probably hit a wrong button...I'm good at that! I wanted to tell you that Doreen had decided NOT to begin taking the Cogentin..still felt uneasy about it, and since her neurologist said that this was a medication that could be taken "as needed", i.e., if she felt that the tremor was particulary bad while working with her doctor,she could opt to take the Cogentin because it is not a medication that needs "titration" when coming off it, etc. Doreen just called me a short while ago to tell me that she had experienced a frightening episode this morning at work. She was unable to focus her eyes...the room became extremely dark...and there were colored spots on the carpet that aren't really there. They took her blood pressure which was extremely low for her (90/57)...usually "runs" about 120/75-80). Now, if she had taken the Cogentin, we, in all likelihood, would have attributed this episode to that. Now, we think it might have been a reaction to the DM that she has been taking for a few days...something that a few here at the forum have been taking and have found to be beneficial in dealing with their PD symptoms...and, too, Doreen had thought that she might be experiencing some benefits. Now, however,she will stop taking the DM. When I think about it, now, I have heard/read that cough medications containing DM are contraindicated for those who have blood pressure issues so that it does seem that Doreen's experience could be related to the DM. Steve will be disappointed to know this because he has been very interested in Doreen's experience with the DM...especially how her "neuro" reacted/responded to her telling him about taking it. He was not adverse to her trying it but did caution her about possible side effects. I thought about the fact that this has been a similar experience to yours with the Cogentin...it "worked" well for the PD symptoms, but it caused the psychosis; therefore, you had to discontinue taking it. As for the Benadryl...I think that she may try this sometime in the near future. As much as we like to see new PD medications come on the market, we still tend to "trust" the older medications.

Paula...it has occurred to me that I haven't asked you about how you're doing with the PD. I would be very interested to know.

Thank you, again, for your interest and input.

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote