View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Our 13.5 yr old was diagnosed in Oct with abdominal mast cell carcinoma (from a biopsy). She was given 2 months without surgery, and 6mos with..I had problems with the special vet, bleeding us of money...for extra unnecessary testing and more surgery.

So I took Oreo to a new vet (the 4th in this problem), and he thought the lump in her neck was related to the abdominal mass, and since all her tests were good, and she was not hyperthyroid as suspected, he offered to treat Oreo with prednisolone high dose. She had two treatments with tapers. So here we are 4mons after the diagnosis, and her neck lump receded and the abdominal is smaller. She still eats well, is very athletic and runs around, and even plays now some --which is astounding--- and we are to watch for sudden weight loss, and other weakness etc. We are prepared for a sudden intestinal perforation, which the vet said is likely someday, but she is doing very well. Anyone looking at her would never guess she has a cancer!

I talked to a guy on Yahoo groups, and his cat died quickly. But by the time they found the cancer he was already in pain and had a bloated abdomen.

We had Oreo wormed with Profender in Sept, and I gave her B12 oral 5mg 3 times a week for 2 months, before her Prednisolone treatment. She eats like crazy, and eliminates okay, and will be 14 in July. She asks to go out even when it is cold, stays out about 1/2 hr comes in warms up and does it again! Every day! So I let her do what she wants, within reason. We don't let her out if we are not going to be home to watch her in the yard. I figure each day is her last... but she
keeps on going well! Cats are mysterious animals...as our new 4th Vet keeps saying. She hasn't lost any weight yet! She weighs 8.25lb still.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
breezy064 (02-14-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)