View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
As far as I understand it, the Alberts's approach to forced exercise depends on the cadence (rpm) more than the effort. So, you could pedal slowly in a high gear, or pedal quickly in a low gear with both methods requiring the same amount of work and both getting to the same speed. But, as far as PD is concerned there is some evidence that the high cadence approach is better.

I have no experience of forced exercise cycling, but last year I built a machine to give me forced exercise of the arms. My stiffness reduced. But, interestingly, like Mr Budgies my tremor worsened. I don't know whether there was a causal relationship.

Has Mr Budgies tried the simple tremor reduction technique described in a recent thread? It helps me slightly.

John
Thanks John, I appreciate your input, and it was interesting to hear your findings after your forced arm exercise last year. May I ask - did the tremor that resulted from that last a long time, by which I mean minutes after the forced exercise, or until the next day?

Whilst I understand the need to reach 60-80 rpm in order to make any real difference to the PD symptoms, I'm still thinking that if he poodles along at his own pace, on a daily basis, this has got to be good for him?

I did see the tremor reduction technique detailed here in a recent thread (which I now can't find), but as it said the relief only last seconds, I didn't mention it to my husband, (who is also called John). Having said that, I'm very pleased to hear it works for you, albeit in a small way.

We're in the UK too - are you anywhere near Devon by any chance?
budgies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote