View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 01:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycapucine1974 View Post
Hi, catra121 and alt1268:

Today, on Wednesday, February 15, 2012, I went to consult my primary care physician. I told him everything about how the work injury on my left knee occurred, what treatment I received in the Emergency Room, what treatment I applied at home according to the Emergency Room doctor's instructions, the reactions of my scraped knee wound (burning pain, throbbing pain, pus discharge, foul odor, redness around the wound...) The doctor removed my last dressing, touched my knee, wound included, with his gloved hands, and made another light dressing.

My primary care physician's response about the pus on my dressing was: "It is not pus, it is the cream you are using." The cream I am using, Flammazine, is a white hydrophilic cream, containing silver sulphadiazine. It is as white as snow and not yellowish, like pus. So it is not the cream I am using. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand this. Flammazine is the cream the Emergency Room doctor used for my first dressing, the cream she asked me to use for the dressings I have to make at home, and the cream my primary care physician used for the light dressing he made today.

Of course, I have no way of proving to my primary care physician I have burning pain and throbbing pain in my scraped knee wound, so he does not believe me. Just because there are no tests for pain does not mean it is not there. There is an American proverb that says: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Besides that, what kind of nose does my primary care physician have, not to be able to smell the foul odor coming from my scraped knee wound? Everyone else is able to smell it but, of course, not him and he does not believe the people who are able to smell it.

Same thing, what kind of eyes does my primary care physician have, not to be able to see the redness around my scraped knee wound? Everyone else is able to see it but, of course, not him.

So what do I do? The public health insurance company would not appreciate my going doctor shopping. I am so angry at my doctor and at my pain in the scraped knee wound that I want to take the phone book (Yellow Pages) and slam it hard, really hard, on my scraped knee wound, again and again and again.

Catra121, my primary care physician does not even want to hear about the information i might get from the Internet. I realized this today. I did not know he was like this, but now I do. My primary care physician refuses to prescribe any better or stronger antibiotics for me, in creal or oral form.

Thanks for listening to me. Now I am going to send this message and cry my eyes out. Thanks again.
Get a new doctor...NOW. Last year I went in to see the doctor for my yearly physical and I had what I thought was a MRSA infection in my arm pit. It was quite painful. He looked at it and said it was just an ingrown hair. I told him it was far too painful and since I had had a MRSA infection once before that I thought this was another one because it felt the same. He was all, "I GUESS I could take a culture and send it out." He almost forgot and I had to insist again at the end of my appointment. He used a razor blade to knick it just a little bit and then SQUEEZED...thank god that was before I had RSD in that are...and took the culture. I asked about being put on antibiotics and he said he really just thought it was an ingrown hair and that I shouldn't worry but they would call something in for me if it turned out it was infected. I had a lumbar sympathetic block scheduled the following Monday (this was on a Thursday) and I told the nurses and doctors there that I thought I had an infection and they both said it was fine since if I really had one then my doctor would have put me on antibiotics. When I was finished with the block and on my way out of the office I had a voicemail on my phone...guess what? It WAS a MRSA infection...and now I had this invasive procedure with an active infection. And then my RSD spread after the block...can't be sure the two things are related but I have my suspicions.

Anyway...my point being that a poor primary care physician can actually do you a lot of harm if you let them. It appears yours is not willing to listen to the patient at all and take their concerns seriously. You need to find a new doctor...one who is compassionate and caring. After I changed I was amazed at how incredible I felt after every appointment with my new doctor...I always left hopeful no matter how dire the situation or how much pain I was in.

If the knee is not better in the next few days then I would again consider going to the ER if you haven't found a new primary care physician. I know no one wants to spend all this time finding doctors and all that...but the longer you put it off the more damage this guy will do to you in the long term. When you call up a different practice, explain that you believe you have an infection. I know that going through everything with a new doctor, explaining your medical history and problems, is a daunting task but it is worth it when you find the right doctor. It changed my life...seriously. Stand up for yourself and take control...letting the doctors treat you like this is unacceptable. The first time it happens, it's completely on them, but every time after that it the responsibility lies partly on you for continuing to see someone like this who is not providing good medical care. I know...I've been there...and I feel like everything I went through last year is partially my fault because I stayed with this jerk doctor for too long and have him too many "chances" to do what should be his job in the first place. He and the other bad doctors I have seen are all in the wrong of course...but I have learned a hard lesson about standing up for my rights and demanding proper treatment...and how important it is to move on if you will not get it with THIS doctor...there are always others.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote