View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Takes a bit of time

I am exactly 1 month post op rib resection/ brachial plexus decompression. I had ice on me constantly for the 1st 3 weeks on my chest and below my shoulder blade. For me, I started feeling better at about 21 days, and have now gone to ibuprofen and heat or ice during the day. My doctor saw me 4 weeks post op- I think that is pretty common for the dr to wait a few weeks for the post op, but I was encouraged to call the office if I had concerns about anything.
My pain is different now that the nerves are beginning to wake up in my neck and under the right clavicle. My neurosurgeon told me the pain comes in stages, post surgery because the nerves wake up at different times. I thought I was going to die the first 2 weeks but now I am able to go out for a few hours.
Hope your son recovers well- I am told that it usually takes 12 weeks for a person to finally get back to their old self- and that is if the surgery went well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraby View Post
My name is Lynda and I am writing to learn more about how to help my son recover from his first rib resection surgery.

Blake is a very healthy 24 year old that was diagnosed with TOS on Aug 3rd after having a blood clot in his left arm and enumerable pulmonary emboli. He had surgery at Stanford Hospital on Aug 31st. The surgeon removed the left first rib and the scalene muscles and said it was a textbook surgery and all went very well. But the past week has been a roller coaster. He has been in constant pain. Originally the pain was in his back just behind his left shoulder blade. Now it is in his left shoulder and arm. He is on constant pain meds and muscle relaxers and even takes ativan from time to time to help him relax. Ice seems to help with the swelling too.

I honestly thought that he would begin improving by now but he is still just as bad as a week ago. He starts physical therapy today and doesn't have a followup with the surgeon until next week. I feel like he needs to be seen by the surgeon sooner. Am I just being a worried mum or is this constant pain something he will have to live with for a while.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Lynda
Ldraper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote