Thread: Tainted Food
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Not fully awake here this morning but I am confused as to whether they found the contaminant in the actual wheat gluten or in the food generally. Once it's all mixed in together in a can or a product in a packet I mean. Did they find any of the contaminated gluten at the actual source of manufacture (at the factory) of all the contamined foods before it was made into mixed up food and then canned and / or packaged???

EDITED to ADD: I guess they must have found it in only the gluten 'cause they only recalled all the cans and products which had gluten in them didn't they???

This might be way off, but I've been checking out how melamine is manufactured and all of the uses I could find for it. In my travels I came across a couple of things which made me wonder something I've not seen mentioned. Has there been any mention or indication that the source of the melamine came from the actual containers - cans or packages - that stored the food. Melamine is used as a glue or resin.

What made me wonder about this was that I found places where they mention it being used in canning processes.

I also keep keep coming across info. that says it's generally non-toxic in humans. That's what the WHO site said too, but that was in 1999. Showed it could cause problems in rats but it seemed to be long-term problem at very high doses.

Found melamine is used in canning manufacture and also in barrier film packaging.
e.g.

Melamine Barrier Film

"DSM Melamine is a leading producer of Melamine for the laminate, canning, flooring, and flame retardant industries"
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote