View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I also returned to work after a year of not working due to the brain injury I sustained.

I've been working part time since I returned on Aug 1, 2011. I started at 12 hours a week and now I'm up to 20 hours a week.

Everyone I work with has been super supportive. The people who are uncomfortable with my impairments seem to avoid me since my return. That's one thing you should be aware of, that if someone avoids you a little or a lot, don't take it personally, it's their issues that they are dealing with (probably fear of something like that happening to them or someone close to them...) Of course, I don't know what kind of impairments you are dealing with, but the change for me between who I was before the accident and who I am now is apparent and seems significant to someone who knew me before the accident and that can be scary to some people.

Also, if you can't do something and you weren't able to prepare to know that, just let your supervisor know ASAP. I'm sure they would be willing to make some accommodation for you.

Keep in mind that while you work, not to overdo it, and that the added cognitive demands *might* actually help some of those neural pathways reconnect...!

And just try to have a positive attitude. But that helps at work whether you are recovering from a tbi or not.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote