View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default dealing with personality changes/shift (?)

One result of PCS that I've noticed for a while now is that little things can really bother me, and certain things can set me off and I'll turn snappy almost before I even realize I'm bothered by something (I've heard this is not uncommon.) I'm gaining a bit more control over that, however I've become increasingly more aware that on top of that, my personality seems different. I don't think it's that I'm entirely different but rather my emotions seem much more raw and almost shifted and how I think seems to have been rewired.

For example, I used to seem to fight primarily with fear before, but now it seems to be somewhat more anger/aggression that's taking over. Not that I'm biting everyone's head off, but I seem almost careless and make much more bold (and sometimes stupid) decisions. My ability to filter what I say seems off too. What pops into my head seems much more likely to pop out of my mouth without me really stopping and thinking about it until after I say it.

In some ways I'm glad that I'm more out there and less inhibited by fear, etc, however I feel like I don't know how to control this new person and keep them from saying/doing something they shouldn't. My ability to discern possible repercussions of my actions seems kinda shot and I find myself thinking a lot "well, I sure hope this isn't a mistake, I can't tell right now..." And even sometimes when I do realize I could be making a wrong choice, I seem to have a harder time making myself care. "Eh, whatever" seems like my default answer when I can't figure out what's the right answer (which happens fairly often, as thinking/reasoning is fairly often challenging right now), usually followed by acting on impulse. I seem much more focused on what's happening right now and how I feel, as opposed to what the future holds (results of actions) and how I should be acting (right decisions.)

Anyone else have any experience with or tips for handling your own self when the person in the mirror seems to have become a stranger with rash emotions trying to take the wheel? Without going into further details, I feel I may already have made some really bad decisions and want guidance on how to put down the shovel before I dig myself any deeper into any holes.
v-lo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bh_pcs (02-17-2012), Theta Z (10-04-2012)