View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-lo View Post
One result of PCS that I've noticed for a while now is that little things can really bother me, and certain things can set me off and I'll turn snappy almost before I even realize I'm bothered by something (I've heard this is not uncommon.) I'm gaining a bit more control over that, however I've become increasingly more aware that on top of that, my personality seems different. I don't think it's that I'm entirely different but rather my emotions seem much more raw and almost shifted and how I think seems to have been rewired.
I had the same problem...I just recently started to get better with this.

Quote:
For example, I used to seem to fight primarily with fear before, but now it seems to be somewhat more anger/aggression that's taking over. Not that I'm biting everyone's head off, but I seem almost careless and make much more bold (and sometimes stupid) decisions. My ability to filter what I say seems off too. What pops into my head seems much more likely to pop out of my mouth without me really stopping and thinking about it until after I say it.
I don't like the way I feel after an anger outburst or an argument with someone. It increases my symptoms to the max...so I'm starting to learn how to control my temper. As much as something bothers me and I want to open my mouth, I just let it go or respond in a calmer tone. If the person continues to push me in to an argument, I just say "I don't want to argue with you."

My filter is also broken. I tend to say things that I don't mean or that I normally wouldn't say if I didn't have a head injury. This is also why I decided to start working on my temper and let things go. Stress is very bad for people recovering from a head injury...very, very bad.

Quote:
In some ways I'm glad that I'm more out there and less inhibited by fear, etc, however I feel like I don't know how to control this new person and keep them from saying/doing something they shouldn't. My ability to discern possible repercussions of my actions seems kinda shot and I find myself thinking a lot "well, I sure hope this isn't a mistake, I can't tell right now..." And even sometimes when I do realize I could be making a wrong choice, I seem to have a harder time making myself care. "Eh, whatever" seems like my default answer when I can't figure out what's the right answer (which happens fairly often, as thinking/reasoning is fairly often challenging right now), usually followed by acting on impulse. I seem much more focused on what's happening right now and how I feel, as opposed to what the future holds (results of actions) and how I should be acting (right decisions.)

Anyone else have any experience with or tips for handling your own self when the person in the mirror seems to have become a stranger with rash emotions trying to take the wheel? Without going into further details, I feel I may already have made some really bad decisions and want guidance on how to put down the shovel before I dig myself any deeper into any holes.
My advice to you is to take it slow. What I mean by this is, when someone says something to you...take a break and think about what they said and how your going to respond. That is what I do. I noticed that things don't come out right if I'm quick to respond. We don't have the ability to quickly respond to things right now - we are injured. It will take some practicing but once you get it down, you will be less frustrated with how you handle things.

I use this method when I'm in the kitchen making something to eat...or cleaning my room. If I move too fast, or as fast as I normally would if I wasn't head injured, I'll screw something up.

So, in short terms: Bring it down a notch. Don't be quick to respond. Think about what your going to say before you open your mouth. Avoid arguments with people.

I hope this help and I hope it makes sense to you.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bh_pcs (02-17-2012), Klaus (02-17-2012), Mark in Idaho (02-16-2012), v-lo (02-16-2012)