View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Emotional lability (mood swings) is one of the most commonly-listed symptoms of concussion. So you are completely normal!

For people you are around a lot, I tried to make sure they knew that it is a symptom so they could do their best to give me a little extra space. Mayo Clinic has a really good booklet for families that can help explain this and gives some strategies for helping them deal with the brain-injured person: http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/re...i_families.pdf

I think you're fairly early on in recovery, so you might not be doing meds yet? But if you are, something like Prozac or another anti-depressant might be able to help stabilize your moods a little bit too. You can ask your doctor if the moodiness is really bothering you.

Other than that, I have just tried to keep myself out of stressful situations as much as possible. I know that my emotional stamina is very low, just like my physical stamina. I can't do much, so I have to limit my exposure to things that are likely to set me off.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bh_pcs (02-17-2012), Klaus (02-17-2012), SpaceCadet (02-16-2012)