View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. My son is home now and the diagnosis is non-specific depressive episode. He is not on any medication at this time since they think this depression was only situational. He seems to be back to his old self but I am certainly keeping vigal. I find myself going into his room at night just to make sure he is breathing. I have not done that since he was an infant.

The counselors and nurses at the hospital he was in were great and I can't give them enough praise. They seemed to genuinly care and not just treat him as another patient.

I have been able to adjust my work schedule so that I am home when he gets home from school and I was able to speak to the school. They seemed to take what Tanis said to heart and ready to help. I guess only time will tell with that.

We have gone to see the counselor for the first follow up appointment. It is the same counselor I used for mariage counseling and person counseling through the divorce. My son has seen him a few times as well and he seems comfortable with him. The counselor seems to think that we will make it through this and that with good communication he and I will be able to work past this and move on. I don't doubt that but currently am still stressed beyond belief.

As for his mother ... I am still at a loss of what to do here. This situation has brought on discord in her family and her and her sister have gotten very ugly with each other. His mother tried to drag both me and him in to the situation to the point where I had to take the phone from my son and hang it up. She is clearly not healthy enough to help him through this. It pains me a great deal to cut her out but I can't see where her instability and selfishness can help him. He spoke about her guilting him into seeing her in his counseling session and that he does not want to do that anymore. He has avoided her phone calls and said he does not want to talk to her. It makes me truly sad that their relationship has deteriorated this far but I can't do anything to help. Her parents have also gone back to their regular tricks of not calling him or taking the opportunity to see him. After his appointment today I offered for them to come by and take him out to lunch and/or to hang out with him for the rest of the afternoon while I was at work and they didn't call. They expect him to do all the work in the relationship when he is the child. I just don't know if after 2 years of trying and attempting to fostrer that relationship with her or her family is worth it anylonger. I have no doubt that some of their behavior and lack of contact with my son wieghs heavily on his mind. Any advice?

Thanks again for all the simpathy and kind words and advice. It certainly helps especially when my family is hundreds of miles away.
miles74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (02-17-2012), Addy (02-17-2012), Alffe (02-17-2012), barbo (02-17-2012), Doody (02-21-2012), ginnie (02-17-2012), Lara (02-17-2012)