View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Someone like me???

I am having a difficult time knowing where to start...

I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle down a step hill (without a helmet) at 5 years of age. I was told I flew 30 feet through the air and would not have lived had I landed on the road. I landed in the gravel next to the road. I was unconscious for around 4 hours, had stitches in several places on my head, and spent a week or two in the hospital. I suffered a broken leg, but as far as I knew I had no lasting injuries.

I am now 37 years of age. I have spent my entire adult life trying to get a diagnosis for my psychological difficulties. I have always told people my issue is that I feel emotions stronger than most people. My emotions engulf me, my husband says it is as if I am possessed when I am in an emotional state. When I have calmed down I often can't remember what got my so mad in the first place. When I was a teen I got into a fight with my best friend because of something she was joking about. Basically, I severely over reacted.

I recently came across information regarding Traumatic Brain Injury and everything I've read regarding injuries of the frontal lobe seems to apply to me better than any diagnosis ever has. But I don't know what to do now. I'm worried a doctor won't even consider it or listen to me. I desperately want to talk to someone who has had a similar experience to mine. I have been suicidal several times throughout my life, the first time at 12 years of age. I feel like I can never get quite right, I have trouble with relationships, they are either extreme or apathetic. I have never been able to hold a job long term, completing my bachelors degree was a huge struggle. I attempted to go on to graduate school several times, but always dropped out. I often can't explain my moods or why I feel the way I do. My emotions don't coincide with what is happening in the external world. I have never been able to stick with anything long term and often have trouble just collecting my thoughts. I am lost and afraid and have no idea where to turn
Taaajaca is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote