View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

v-lo,

There are two issues to consider about changes in personality and reactive behavior.

The PCS brain tends to suffer from rigid thinking. This means we can get stuck on one train of though at the expense of any other thoughts. This can prevent the self-correcting thoughts.

The other is the common tendency to outbursts. Combine over-stimulation with controversy and outbursts are lively to rise up and slap everyone. I struggle with this the most. My solution is to walk away. Better to be rude and be thought of as rude and inconsiderate that to stay and speak up and act like an irrational idiot.

We with PCS may also suffer from a dysfunction in the part of the brain that reads other peoples body language, facial expressions and voice inflection. This can cause inappropriate responses.

When we have identified these traits, we can develop some exit strategies and ways to avoid the triggers.

This is likely the area of PCS that is most damaging to our lives. We alienate and lose friends and jeopardize job and business situations.

I carry pieces of paper in my wallet that say, "Please be patient with me. I have a brain injury that cause me to over-react when confronted with shouting or someone barking orders. I respond by getting loud. Any assistance to help limit excessive auditory stimulation is helpful. "

I hand one to the first TSA agent when at airport security and anybody I need to deal with in a loud and chaotic environment. If I give them the paper to read, they tend to read it in its entirety. They will not read it if you just show it to them. So, have multiples in your wallet by your ID.

Cops can be problems if you get over-reactive so these papers can make a big difference.

Hope this helps. Many of us are in this same boat.

Wow, biting of heads ala Ozzy puts it in perspective.

I have been denied boarding once and had trouble getting past TSA twice when they yelled at me and I yelled back.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (02-17-2012)