View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 01:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default "Let's get some coffee."

I've got another NUCCA appointment today...my friend that normally takes me there is busy today so I had to call an old buddy of mine for a ride. He's asking to show up early so we can hang out and maybe "get some coffee". He knows about my injury but doesn't know how severe it is and what my limitations are. I just had to text him and tell him I'm limited to what I can do. I said that if I've got an appointment that's about all I can handle...which is sad, but true. If I try to do something like catch up with an old friend before the appointment it will wipe me out before I get there.

So, I'm embarrassed. I think this might be the first time I've been embarrassed since the injury because I've done a pretty good job of avoiding people. He is still insisting on picking me up 30 minutes earlier than he needs to.

I don't like people to see me like this. I've done a great job of avoiding people so i can hide out like a hermit and maximize my recovery.

I don't know how severe everyone's symptoms are here and how much they can handle, but for the people that can only handle doing one or two things before getting wiped out, how do you handle a situation like this?

I'd love to catch up with the guy but its important that I'm able to function at this appointment.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote