View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Tarlov cyst is a shunt an option?

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with a tarlov cyst a year ago. I am not sure if they come from a fall. When I was diagnosed I was told that it was possible that this cyst was on the spine since I was a child or approx 25 years (I am 27). it is really unknown what causes them, and also what can be done to stop them recurring.
That is my main problem at the moment, I had my cyst drained and had 5 days relief, then I had to have surgery (kind of had no choice as I was in so much pain!) I had the surgery in Aug 2010, then I suffered from a spinal fluid leak and developed bacterial meningitis, I needed another surgery to fix the leak. long road of recovery....then in December the sciatica pain and lower back pain started again, had another MRI and there was another cyst on the spine, just below where the first one was.
They are now looking at the possibility of putting a shunt in to regulate the CSF and see if that will stop another cyst forming. I am going to see a neurosurgeon next week to see if this is an option. has anyone heard of this? i think either way it is open surgery which means another year of recovery and I have a higher probability of getting meningitis again...not a nice situation!!
If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated!
rhondafa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote