View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Chiari or CSF Leak?

Hello I was diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation just prior to Xmas. I had numbness loss of sensation and coordination down my entire left side. 2mri and a CT later they couldnt find any cause but founf chiari 1 malformation. Over the past few weeks I have been pretty good with the exception of a weird salty taste down the back of my nose/throat and then yesterday I had the worst day couldn't stand up without losing my balance and the head pain/pressure was horrible. The worst part was this taste all day dripping down the back of my nose and throat could I have been misdiagnosed with Chiari when I actually have a spontaneous CSF Leak? Or I read that the pressure can create a csf leak? Any help would be appreciated I live in Australia and the knowledge of Chiari here by Neuros is not that great I am afraid :-(. Thanks for reading Viksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroblade View Post
Please be aware of the fact that occasionally empty sella syndrome may be associated with a leak of CSF into the sinuses and then out through the nose. Features that are suspicious for this would be a gush of clear, colorless fluid from the nose when sitting up after lying down for a while. And sometimes the ability for the fluid to continue dripping in certain positions. The fluid may instead run down the back of the throat instead of out through the nose. It typically is described as having a salty taste, and unless it is infected, it should be clear and identical in consistency with water. I have treated a number of patients with this condition who were mistkenly though to have allergies, colds, etc. The danger of this is that if fluid can leak out, bacteria can potentially get into the central nervous system and cause meningitis. Yet, some individuals with documented CSF leaks may have them for years without such a complication. If your runny nose fits this description, I would recommend that you consult with a neurosurgeon, who can perform tests than can confirm whether or not the fluid is CSF, and if it is, you should discuss the option of treatment (which usually requires surgery).
Viksta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote