View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-lo View Post
One result of PCS that I've noticed for a while now is that little things can really bother me, and certain things can set me off and I'll turn snappy almost before I even realize I'm bothered by something (I've heard this is not uncommon.) I'm gaining a bit more control over that, however I've become increasingly more aware that on top of that, my personality seems different. I don't think it's that I'm entirely different but rather my emotions seem much more raw and almost shifted and how I think seems to have been rewired.

For example, I used to seem to fight primarily with fear before, but now it seems to be somewhat more anger/aggression that's taking over. Not that I'm biting everyone's head off, but I seem almost careless and make much more bold (and sometimes stupid) decisions. My ability to filter what I say seems off too. What pops into my head seems much more likely to pop out of my mouth without me really stopping and thinking about it until after I say it.

In some ways I'm glad that I'm more out there and less inhibited by fear, etc, however I feel like I don't know how to control this new person and keep them from saying/doing something they shouldn't. My ability to discern possible repercussions of my actions seems kinda shot and I find myself thinking a lot "well, I sure hope this isn't a mistake, I can't tell right now..." And even sometimes when I do realize I could be making a wrong choice, I seem to have a harder time making myself care. "Eh, whatever" seems like my default answer when I can't figure out what's the right answer (which happens fairly often, as thinking/reasoning is fairly often challenging right now), usually followed by acting on impulse. I seem much more focused on what's happening right now and how I feel, as opposed to what the future holds (results of actions) and how I should be acting (right decisions.)

Anyone else have any experience with or tips for handling your own self when the person in the mirror seems to have become a stranger with rash emotions trying to take the wheel? Without going into further details, I feel I may already have made some really bad decisions and want guidance on how to put down the shovel before I dig myself any deeper into any holes.

I feel the same way, very well said! Sometimes I get this overwhelming feeling I'm not the same person as I was prior, but I can't quite place why (besides the obvious symptoms) I think one of the things as far as anger goes, I would recommend if you are getting upset, whether you're angry or tearing up or shouting starts, LEAVE. No matter how rude it may seem you're being, sometimes you just need to leave the room to calm down. I had someone say some rude things to me and the best thing to do was to leave, especially if you know you might say something you'll regret as soon as it leaves your mouth. I find when I'm upset it's a trigger that also starts with fogginess and confusion, which makes everything worse. I hope that this helps you a little bit, and remember everyone here understands what you're dealing with!
kayley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (02-18-2012), SpaceCadet (02-18-2012), Theta Z (10-04-2012), v-lo (02-20-2012)