Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBB View Post
Hi, I will be having ACDF at C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7 this coming Tuesday. I am terrified. I have no family and will be using this site as a support system, hopefully. The neurosurgeon said that he is going to use 'caging'...I have tried to research that but do not understand what it is. Does anyone know what this is? And can anyone tell me what items I should take to the hospital to make things a little easier?
ABBB,

I answered your question about the cage a couple of days ago.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post852384-83.html
You can find more by googling: acdf with fusion cage

Using this site for support is ok; that's what it's here for, but you may not be in any condition to use your computer during the first few days following the surgery. I encourage you to start building a more comprehensive support team/network for the future. I posted a schematic of what one might look like here.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post805681-5.html
Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger view.

Ginny and others have commented that you may need help during that recovery period. Since you have no family, and may not have a church, contact your local Visiting Nurse Service and/or Friends In Service Here (FISH) or call the hospital and ask about services/organizations that may be able to help you.

You can also call the hospital to find out what items to bring.
Google: questions to ask before surgery
Google: questions to ask before neck surgery

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote