View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paige.elizabeth View Post
So i guess what I am trying to find is:
a) how do you keep going when you've already had to go through this once and thought it was the end of your world
b) understand it and accept it
c) get support from those closest to me. i dont need them to understand, just need them to be there for me.
Hi, Paige,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry that you have been through so much. It sounds like it has been an extremely difficult time.

If you figure out how to keep going when you lose everything you thought you had for the third or fourth time, please let me know. I don't have your concussion history, but I thought my life had bottomed out sometime in 2010, and that was before my (totally random) concussion. Rock bottom has to be around here somewhere, right??

As far as I can tell, the answer so far is just wake up every morning and take the very next step right in front of you. If I look much further ahead than that, I start to hyperventilate. NOT good for the head!

As far as getting support, the Mayo Clinic has a fairly short booklet that you might be able to get your dad and boyfriend to read: http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/re...i_families.pdf It outlines problems that are commonly seen in brain injury and some strategies for dealing with them.

And, definitely, hang around here! This is the one place in my world where I feel like people really get it.

Take care. Let us know how you're doing.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (02-20-2012), SpaceCadet (02-19-2012)