View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I didn't/don't have the ability to fill out huge applications like that so I made an appointment with SSA for help with the application. I really recommend that people go to SSA for help -- that's what they're there for and it's FREE!

I was there for almost 4 hours and I had gone in with part of the application done. If it takes an SSA professional 4 hours to finish an application -- and the woman was seriously efficient, with all of the medical/doctor info already programmed into her system -- then how can sick folks complete it all correctly and easily? LOL, I almost think that the application is the first disability test -- if you can complete it all yourself pretty well, then you can work. I'm kidding, but I wonder!

Anyhoo, I was SO GLAD I went to SSA for help. She asked me questions and wrote down things I never would have thought to include. The effect of the meds, for one. They told me to bring all of my meds and she studied each one. She said, "Wow, a lot of your meds make you tired or dizzy!" And she noted that. That didn't occur to me.

I was approved on my initial application in just 10 weeks. It helped that I struggled, changed jobs, modified my work, and stayed employed for years after the diagnoses until I just couldn't anymore. But I think it also helped that when it was time, I went to SSA for assistance with applying.

The SSA employees have the ability to flag applications they think are obvious and should be approved. I don't know for sure that's what happened with mine but I think it did help for an SSA employee to go through the application with me and see firsthand just how much pain I was in. Shoot, I had to take my pain pills and other meds while I was there for my appointment.

The best advice I was given came from an SSA advocate. He told me not to involve a lawyer or agency unless I was denied on the application and the reconsideration. He said lawyers will happily take your money to do what SSA and non-profits will do for free! He was right, and I'm glad I listened.

Just my thoughts. I wish y'all the best of luck!
Teatime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rbasham (03-04-2012), Sonny1 (02-20-2012)