View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasstar1213 View Post
it is killing me not being able to play and no one around me quite understands what I am going through.
I understand. When I go past the soccer pitch I used to play on every week I still gaze wistfully out the window at it. It was my favourite thing to do each week and made me forget about everything else. That this source of stress relief was taken from me at the time I was most stressed was very hard.

You won't want to hear this, but I will never be playing any contact sport ever again. Once you have the sort of susceptibility we have the concussions will only happen more easily and get worse, making your life hell for months or years each time and building up problems for later life. However much I love sport, having a brain that doesn't work properly is too terrifying not to do everything I can to avoid it happening again.

I think I've seen it best put by Scott Stevens, a professional Footballer at the top of his game in Australia's most popular sport:-

Quote:
Stevens told his teammates of his decision to immediately retire on Tuesday morning.

"Concussion is a brain injury, something to be taken very seriously, and it affects your whole quality of life and has ramifications beyond football," Stevens said in a statement.

"To play again, I would have to regain health and fitness and then be prepared that if I suffered another concussion the recovery time would be as long or longer.

"This is something I don't want to go through again."
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1muu2d9tE

If he can find a life outside sport, then so can we. Good luck!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-15-2012)