Thread: Biofeedback
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Rae said it better than I did, except it was my PM clinic (at the time) who offered it, and it was for chronic pain. I forgot about the guided imagery part, but yes - this guy's office was overbearing with all the little battery-operated fountains, landscape posters, new-age music, and incense (or scented candles or pot pourri - something stinky, anyway...)

My problem was the same though - I could never concentrate through the pain I was trying to alleviate. The guy who taught it kept telling me how great it worked on patients with cold hands (I forget the term he used; might have been Raynaud's phenomenon or might have been something else) but every time I asked how it worked for chronic pain (especially headaches), he dodged the question.

[RAMBLE]
I've learned a lot of ways to distract myself from pain, but never headaches. To me, they're the most difficult because they're in our heads (where we live, if that makes sense).
[/RAMBLE]

Even though I couldn't get it to work, I still believe in the theory; I have been able to use it to drop my BP by 10 points or more withing a few minutes (not that BP's ever been an issue). That tells me that is does work for some things for some folks, so go for it, and Best Wishes!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (02-26-2012)