View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After attempts with two physical therapists, lifestyle changes (I left my former job) and Botox injections, Dr. Donahue has advised surgery as the last remaining option for me. I will be having my left rib resection and scalenectomy a week from tomorrow, Feb. 28, at MGH.

Dr. Donahue said there are no more tests available for me that can give a clearer picture of what is going on under the surface, as I am not strong enough for a MRI at this point. The CT scan, x-rays, and vascular ultrasound all came back normal. This first surgery is a "test" according to him; after this initial surgery, if I choose to have my right side done as well, he is willing to operate. He said he offers surgery to one out of every five patients and tries other options first, as I have seen first hand.

I am 24 and have lost more than two thirds of my strength on my left side. This condition affects my functioning on a daily basis, and completing necessary living tasks can be a struggle. Dr. Donahue said my case is even more rare, as it is mostly strength-based, rather than pain, in the symptoms I experience.

I believe we are in good hands, Limoges, and I'll be hoping for successful surgeries for us both. In the meantime, my plan is to enjoy my last week of freedom and see as many friends as possible before taking a leave of absence from work and going to live with family members up in Maine.

Take care all,
Laura
ladylaura418 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote