View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dallasstar,

There was research done long ago that showed that nobody every fully recovers from a concussion. You may recover full function with minimal symptoms but you brain will forever be injured. This injury will show up during periods of stress or minor trauma. A minor jostle of the head or an illness with a high fever or just prolonged stress from a job cab cause a return of severe PCS symptoms.

Any further concussions will likely cause more severe symptoms from an equal or lesser impact force.

I am amazed by how many people define themselves by the sports they play. What would you do if you irreparably injured a knee, or neck vertebra or Achilles tendon? All can easily be permanently injured allowing non-stressful activity but not full stress activities.

There are lots of ways to reinvent oneself.

Further head injury can result in severe personality changes that cause a tendency to irrational outbursts and fits of rage.

What parts of your future are you willing to trade away for a few seasons of lacrosse? How about future relationships? How about future sexual functions? Yes, PCS or the meds to treat the pervasive symptoms can cause sexual dysfunctions. How about the ability to perform in a high stress but high pay career?

There are trade-offs in life. We don't usually get second changes to make some of these trade-off decisions.

Hope you can find the strength to make some good decisions.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PCS Mikey (02-21-2012), SpaceCadet (02-20-2012), Theta Z (10-15-2012)