View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarie18 View Post
They want to me to go pain management b/c I will be on pain meds long term, and they can not do that. I do not understand, I do not want to be on pain meds for the rest of my life b/c im a liability with the size of my spinal cord and fluid that protects it. There is no light at the end of this tunnel. I feel like if I knew ok im having surgery and will be out of pain a month later, that would be a better answer. I may get a second opinion.
Hi HMarie,

Regarding your refill, if it cannot reach you in time, can you go and pick it up? In some locations, doctors can instruct pharmacies to fill an emergency supply of just a few days until the regular prescription gets to you.

I have never met, nor do I know, any chronic pain patient who wants to be on pain meds long term, much less for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, in some cases, it's the best/only alternative that will allow those patients an acceptable/reasonable quality of life.

Surgery is no guarantee of an end to pain. The lucky ones see some improvement, but many patients whose surgeries have been successful are, and will still be, on pain medications for the forseeable future. By all means, get multiple opinions, and ask lots of questions!

Pain management involves many more therapies than medications, but medications are helpful in controlling the pain until other methods can be found/tried - if possible.

You are not alone in your dilemma or your journey; there are many many people here and elsewhere in similar situations helping each other along the way. We're all here to help each other through it.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-21-2012)