View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey there!

I was a super jock (female version) throughout my entire life from sports ranging in martial arts to track events to volleyball. I got scholarships but I had to decline due to concussions. Sports were all I knew and like you my world revolved around them.

I did try and go back too early and that made my symptoms worse and last longer. So i would advise to wait and get a doctors approval before even thinking about doing anything physically demanding.

Over the years you do get used to everything and start to consider them your norm and you get comfortable and you stop comparing yourself to others or how you used to be and you think you are ok. That is where I made my biggest mistake. 5 yrs later I went back to volleyball. I was able to perform just as well as before but it was the day after that I was sluggish and my PCS was very apparent. Of course there was the denial that its solely because I'm out of shape and tired, but after a few weeks it was like a slap in the face. Things have changed and Im not the same person and don't have the same capabilities.

The chances of a re-occuring concussion is pretty good and you will be out for longer. Like Mark said further injury can do a lot more damage and you really do have to start thinking about what in life you are willing to give up in order to play sports again. One of the hardest things you will do is watch your team go on without you, but you need to realise sports are for fun and for many of us not our career.

Another thing you need to remember is it isnt just sports that will cause a concussion anymore. As I recently learned, a dogs knee to the head is just as dangerous. The more blows to your head the more fragile it gets and the less it takes to injure it.

My only advice is be careful and take your time. Don't give up entirely on what you love but find alternatives instead. Biking and swimming are faily low impact but still keep you in shape and can be done alone or with people if you are looking for more of a team feeling. Coaching, which is what i did, will keep you in the game and with the team, just not on the field.

You only live once so live your life to its fullest potential and have fun but be smart about it.

Good luck with everything!!
paige.elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (02-21-2012), PCS Mikey (02-21-2012), Theta Z (10-15-2012)