View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Prediabetic Neuropathy or not?

Hi Everyone,

I am a 40 year old male in general good health, Problem started a year and half ago with sensitive skin on lower legs and feet then numbness in big toe and ajascent toe in morning time and cramping burning pain in lower right calf after walking a distance also tingling and numbness in feet and hands at night, after months of this I went to my doctor who did blood testing, everything came back OK except for my A1C which was 6.0 He said this could possibly be the cause and told me what to not eat and what not to eat to get my blood sugar down to normal. I totaly changed my diet to low carbs and got my A1C down to 5.4 after a few months but symtoms persist, I did notice at that time the tingling and numbness at night was alot less. In the middle of this I hurt my back and did physical therapy but still had back pain, I was then sent to a back neurosurgon who said I had a bulging disc at L4-L5 and this could cause problems in the legs so I ended up having a microdiscetomy and after four months my back felt better but it did not help my legs at all. I am now seeing a regular neurologist who says he would have not sent me for back surgery because when he looked at my MRI it was not that bad. After he did an exam and blood test he did not think I had a neuropathy because I did not have any weakness and I did not have any stabbing pains and he did not agree whith my primary doc that said my prediabetes could be the cause, he thinks I have some carpel tunnel syndrom in my hands and feet but still put me on gabapentin and suggested tonic water for the cramping pain.

I have had an EMG NCS and lyme test, heavy metal test and autoimune blood test all OK except for some nerve conduction velocity slowing in my legs the worst was my right peroneal that was 31 ms others where at 38 ms just below the bottom of the normal 41 ms, the Dr doing the test said these slightly low velocities where most likely because of my 6' 3" height and my leg temperature was cool being at 30.0 celcius.

I am concerned now because I am noticing these symptoms in my upper legs and I don't know if this is part of the healing or if it is getting worse. After 8 months of control over my blood glucose I only notice my toes are not as numb as before glucose control and much less of the tingling and numbness at night which I always thought was because of sleeping in a bad position.

Does this sound like prediabetic neuropathy or something else?

Supplements I am Taking.

GLA 160 mg X 6
Vitamin C 500 mg X 6
Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500 mg X 4
CoQ10 100mg
Inositol 650 mg X 2
R-Lipoic Acid 300 mg
Benfotiamine 150 mg
Ginko Bilboa 120 mg
Vitamin E 400 mg
Richie Rich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote