View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne785913 View Post
I have an extra set of ribs coming off the first rib, because my body did not have space for these ribs the right side pushed into the subclavian artery and caused an aneurism which sent blood clots into my right arm and hand. No accident caused it to happen just the extra rib pushing for space. I was studying abroad so I was not at home to get anything checked out and during this period of time my arm and hand slowly went from tingling and my fingers turning white to looking like I had a stroke. The blood clots were in every vein and artery in my arm and hand. It killed the radial artery leading to my thumb and hand area which had to be replaced with a vein in my leg and if that did not work I would have lost my right arm up to my elbow. They then provided to pull the clots out of all the veins and arteries. Extreme nerve damage was done because everything had gotten to the worst possible point before the surgeries. They had to take a vein from my other leg to put around the aneurism because it was to tangled in with everything in that area that could cause more damage which also meant the extra rib could not be taken out, but it has done all the damage it can on the right side so they say! I am about 7 months out of the surgeries and still feel the healing process at work .
Wow! Congrats on getting the arm saved and getting the surgery you needed. Thanks for sharing your story.