View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Thanks for the drug list:

Furosemide is very potent. It depletes the body of electrolytes.
Doctors will follow this for potassium, but they often neglect
magnesium(until the poor patient gets so low they have a cardiac arrthymia). Also it depletes thiamine B1. The magnesium and thiamine when low give lots of nerve symptoms.

So it would be prudent to take a magnesium supplement (if you don't eat foods high in magnesium) and also thiamine 100mg 3 times a day. I myself had this reaction with flared my own PN, which was stable. So now I only use furosemide once a week or ever 10 days, and that way I get rid of some of my hypothyroid edema, and don't get depleted. I also choose to take magnesium in the form a lotion, and nuts as a food source, and Benfotiamine 150mg a day (which is an improved type of B1).

It is always possible to have more than one thing going on.
You could have some genetic component but also suffer from
side effects from drugs.

In addition to these two nutrients which are severely affected,
the reference I use also lists these as well--to attention to all of these is a good idea:

minerals:
calcium
magnesium
sodium
potassium
zinc

vitamins
Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
Vitamin C

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanhf (02-22-2012)