View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pectoralis Minor Syndrome

Hi, I've had an undiagnosed problem for a few years now, I had thought it might be TOS, but I think it might actually be Pectoralis Minor Syndrome. As I never have any pain down my arm and in my hands, the pain is always just in my armpit.

Please could you take the time if you can to help, I've had this problem for so long and it has really got me down...

In 2009 after using too wich weight during a chest exercise I injured my chest. I was a bit achey straight after but not too bad, a couple of days after though I started getting a really bad stabbing pain on the outer part of my chest near my armpit.

It took a month or so for that pain to subside, and because the pain was so bad I didnt use that arm at all. I've had lots of problems since though. The main problem I have is that whenever I carry something heavy (for example a heavy shopping bag), afterwards I get a pain deep in my arpit.

I never get any pain while actually carrying the heavy bag, but say 30 minutes afterwards the pain comes on. The pain is also related to how much weight I've carried, for example carrying a heavy shopping back for 20 seconds could mean an annoying pain for a couple of hours. Or if I did a weights session using very heavy weights, I could have really bad pain
for two weeks (I've only done this once, and never again at the moment!)

The pain is a dull knawing pain (like a toothache) which is constantly there. Its like somebody is pushing something like the rounded end of a pen up into my armpit and holding it there all day.

Another slight pain I get at the same time is an ache on the inside of my shoulder blade.

I had surgery on a hernia 3 months ago, and during this time I had absolutely no problems, I think because I wasnt able to carry anything of any weight. Now I've started carrying things again the problem has come back.

I havent found too many things which help, but some things that do a bit are...

- Hunching my shoulders forward and holding that stretch, or reaching as far foward with my hands as I can and holding the stretch
- When playing golf, the pain can dissapear while playing, but then come on quite bad an hour or so later. (possibly something loosens up during playing, and then tightens after?)
- Walking around and Running can ease the problem when I have it.
- Sometimes a warm shower can help

Some of the things I've noticed are...

- My good side actually has a more noticable rounded shoulder than my bad side
- My clavicle sticks out more on my good side (possibly due to more rounded shoulder)
- I have no problems in the night, even when the pain is really bad, the first few moments of the day I have no pain at all
- I have a lot less back muscle on my bad side

If there is anything you think might help, or have any articles would help please let me know.

I've been trying scalene and pec minor stretches.

Thanks very much for your time
danieldunn10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote