View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagr View Post
I don't have a whole lot of information on this topic, but it is something I'd like to discuss with my neurologist next month.

After CNN ran their concussion special on tv a few weeks ago, I decided to read the related article on their website. I must have had some time to kill because I dove into the readers' comments section, which I know can often be a total waste of time. Well, I came across a woman commenting about how her daughter had been suffering from pcs for 2 yrs following a soccer concussion. I think her daughter had only been treated with anti-depressants and it was not helping. It wasn't until her daughter saw an endocrinologist and had her pituitary tested (with a stimulating test, I believe) that she began to recover. Apparently she had some pituitary damage and was given medication to help her lingering symptoms resolve. This woman seemed extremely happy her daughter recovered and seemed very passionate about helping other pcs sufferers too. She mentioned an endocrinologist at the University of Texas who is conducting a study on the pituitary's link to concussions. I guess it's a lot stronger than previously believed. Something like 60% of women who have had 2 concussions also have pituitary damage. (this statistic was mentioned by the woman.....I don't have a study to reference). I know you can't always believe what you read on the internet, but I know that I plan to discuss this with my doctor.

Btw, I have not had an adrenal workup yet. I do have the thermal regulation symptom you mentioned. It is so annoying. My main problem right now is the inability to sleep. I think I've had about 5 hrs of sleep in the past two days. I almost feel like a walking zombie. 6 months of insomnia takes it's toll.

Sorry for rambling. This turned into a much longer post than intended. Hopefully someone else here has some insight into this area.
Do you have a link to this CNN article?
Hit by a car while on a training ride on a bicycle Aug. 17, 2011. Loss of consciousness, road rash, left leg issues, head trauma, broken bicycle. Dealing with PCS - short term memory loss, verbal memory loss, attention loss, slow processing speed, irritability, anxiety, word-finding troubles, impulsive, tinnitus, fatigue, OCD. Intellect intact, motor skills intact, other cognitive skills intact. Motivated to get better!
bh_pcs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote