View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need help and advice on my Post Concussion syndrome

So, I am brand new to this forum. This is actually my first post and it is going to be long so bare with haha...

So, I got my first documented concussion March 26, 2011 during my lacrosse game. I didn't lose consciousness and felt fine after the hit. Later that day, I started feeling not "myself". I felt fatigued, foggy and kind of out of it. That monday the trainer at my school referred me to a concussion doctor and he confirmed it was a "mild" concussion. Well, two weeks went by and I started to feel pretty good, although i will admit now that i was not 100%. I would say i was at like 85%.

Anyway, when I came back for my first game three weeks later. I got hit kinda hard, but I felt fine and kept playing. Later that day, i started feeling tired, got a migraine, and felt nauseous. I went back to the same doctor and he told me that he thinks I re concussed myself. He told me that my season was over (which I was upset about) and told me to take it easy. And that is exactly what I did. My life revolves around weightlifting and I do it everyday. I had to stay away from the weight room for two months, wich mentally took its toll on me. Well, June came around and I started feeling pretty good. The headaches were very mild, the fatigue was wearing off and I was starting to feel myself again. I saw the doctor one more time and he told me to gradually get back into the swing of things, but not too quick! And low and behold, I was jackass and didn't listen to him. The day after he told me that i went to the weight room and went hard as hell. I felt fine, but I still was not 100%, but I was sayign to myself "the hell with it".

9 months later, here I am. I have mild headaches every day, I get lightheaded all the time, my vision is kinda foggy, sometimes my ears feel like I am on an airplane and feel like I want to commit suicide thats how much I can't stand living like this. Last week I went back to that doctor and he told me that I HAVE to stop the weightlifting for a while and this time I listened. he also prescribed me amantidine for the fogginess and it kinda works. The only physical activity I am doing is bodylastics bands in my basement. I start vestibular therapy next week and I hope it helps.

I have also had an MRI and it was negative

Another thing that I have been suffering from my whole life is hypochondria. I have really bad anxiety and the concussion has made it worse.

Please, I need advice from someone who has gone through this. I want to be normal again. I want to be the old "me". What strategies are helpful?
penguinsfan7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-23-2012)