Thread: working?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well...work has not allowed me to go back (illegally...but whatever) but I think I have a pretty firm grasp on what is helpful generally when it comes to needing accommodations for your disability.

Obviously you cannot just choose what you want to do at work. My personal experience is that it isn't even remotely helpful to even suggest tasks that you would be able to do.

Instead...you need to focus on what you need from your employer to do the job. I don't know what you do for a living so you'll have to think about in terms of your actual employer and your job. So think about triggers your RSD and how you can avoid those things and if there is anything YOU can do to minimize the effects of those triggers so you can still work.

Using myself as an example...my pain flares really bad in any sort of cold or with a breeze or air blowing from a vent, etc. I can minimize the effects of this by making sure that my RSD areas are covered...but wearing gloves, scarf, and gym shoes would not generally be part of the company dress code. So the accommodation I ask for is to be allowed to wear those things as needed.

If you need to limit your contact with people...then maybe ask for an office or to work in a secluded area. Again...don't know what your job is or if that would apply...but in an office setting it would be reasonable to move you from a spot that is in a high traffic area to one that isn't as busy.

If cold is an issue and it would be unreasonable to increase the temperature where you work to a comfortable level, you could request to be allowed to use a space heater to keep your work area warmer.

Another common accommodation is to ask for a flexible work schedule. This is not always possible because it may affect your ability to meet deadlines and stuff...but depending on the sort of work you do it might be something that they can do.

If there's anything that you would need to do your job...like hands free voice typing system or a walker or wheel chair...those are things you can ask the employer to provide. If the cost is not high...they may be required to provide it to you.

If you have to walk a long distance to get to your work area, you may be able to ask to work in an area closer to the entrance. Or you might be able to park closer (reserved parking spot or something) which could limit the distance you walk or that you are exposed to the weather outside.

Those are just some examples. When you go to the employer I wouldn't think about it like giving them a list of things you cannot do, but rather a list of things that would allow you to DO the job.

Now...a difficult employer with people who are just trying to make you miserable to get you to leave will twist any accommodations or restrictions around to so that they succeed in making you miserable. One example from my own experience is that I had a note once that said I could not stand for more than 15 minutes during my shift...to which my employer replied, "So you can WALK for your entire shift." Seriously...that's what I was told...and it was a clear case of them just deliberately being difficult. That's why if you focus on what you need them to do for you so you can do the type of work you want, instead of just telling them what you can't do, it can be more helpful. Then they should base your job on what is in the job description instead of giving you meaningless busy work that you don't like. If you tell them you can do your job but need ACCOMMODATIONS instead of all the things you can't do it can put a whole different spin on the situation.

But like I said...if they are just dead set on making you miserable then there may be nothing that you can do. I certainly have experience with THAT...
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote