View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Driving/Riding Trouble

Over 3 years ago I was in a terrible car accident. Ever since I am completely terrified of being in a vehicle. I used to love driving and having long road trips, and now whether I'm riding or driving I feel like I'm in a horror movie.

About 6 months after the accident I was healed up enough to give driving a go. At first I could only go a few blocks, then a few miles, and I thought that it would progress from there. Doctors told me that if I kept driving more that I would get back into the swing of things and the fear would go away. The problem is that it hasn't.

I don't drive anymore, even for little trips. Currently I'm restricted, but since I'm only 25, I'm trying to figure out ways that I can possibly get over this. As a passenger I am constantly wincing, clenching my fists, throwing up my arms, clinging to my seat belt, screaming, and freaking out at even the littlest of things on the road. I feel like it's a reaction that I can't control. I know that it's annoying to whoever is driving, but I can't help it. My heart beat speeds up, my brain gets frantic, and I would love for it to go away.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I welcome any help. I thought this would all get better in time. I don't even remember the accident as I suffered memory loss, but I am terrified of being in a vehicle.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-25-2012), nobotox (02-27-2012)