View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi RockerMama,

Welcome to the forum! I've had epilepsy for 40 yrs. and what your daughter is describing when she sees colors, odd pictures, and odd odours sounds like a simple partial seizure also known as an aura seizure. This type of seizure can sometimes lead into a complex partial seizure or absence seizure.

Before I started having seizures I started having migraine headaches when I was 10 yrs. old (49 now). The migraines lead into seizures. My advice to you is to get your daughter to see an Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) and be sure you go to an Epilepsy Center which are often found at University hospitals or big hospitals. I got the most help there and the Dr. was able to help me better than any neurologist I've ever seen over the yrs.

Often seizure activity will not show up on an e.e.g. or MRI and that's because the brain damage is in to deep in the brain so it won't show any problems.

The thing to do right now to help your daughter until she sees another Dr. is to cut her back on carbs and starch foods. Keep her away from nutra sweet or any other fake sugars and start giving her food high in fat. This will build up keytones in her body and help stop the possible seizures. She will burn the fat off for energy. This diet is known as the Ketogenic Diet and it's for people who have epilepsy. It works really good with kids.

Another thing you should do is get a calendar and write down any time she tells you she might have had a seizure. Write down what time it happened with a discription of the possible seizure. By doing this it will possibly show a pattern in her seizures and this can be very helpful the her Dr.

I found taking vitamin B12 once a day was a great help reducing my seizures. I also found that sometimes I will have a seizure when there's a low pressure in the weather.

I wish you and your family the best of luck and May God Bless All of You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote