15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

That website, Dr. Smith, had to contact 5 hr energy for
the actual amount of caffeine in them.
Also they do not provide the caffeine content for the extra
strength product.

My point is that 5 hr Energy conceals its contents.

Consumers facing the product in a store, do not have access to the caffeine content.

Those that know ingredients may be listed in descending concentrations on labels may think caffeine is low, because it appears near the end. When in fact it is pretty potent.

Only the decaf product has a milligrams listed as 6.
Why is that? I assume they ADD caffeine to this product as
it does not contain a natural extract herb to provide it. So why
does the decaf have 6mg?

Our culture just loves quick fixes! AirBorne is another. You wouldn't believe the stampede for this product after it appeared on Oprah. We couldn't keep it for a day on the shelves, and
often it was unavailable wholesale.

If you like it, then use it. But be aware that 40mg of B6 is alot, and we have had posters here with reactions to B6 in lesser amounts than this. I wouldn't take other products with B6 in them (substantial amounts) at the same time.
And be vigiliant for side effects. Some people cannot tolerate phenylalanine and tyrosine in high doses. It can stimulate the
sympathetic (adrenergic) nervous system.

And there is another factor...I am exploring the use of folic acid (synthetic inactive form) with natural folates or methylfolate.
Karsten, here, is sending me some very revealing articles about
competition between folic acid from supplements and food fortification, blocking the natural actions of the methylfolate form.
I will be making a thread on this soon. It is pretty complicated.
But this product can put one into very high folic acid consumption when the person is eating fortified bread/cereals/pasta. People may also be consuming vitamins that typically have 400mcg of folic acid as well.This may interfere with methylation chemistry in the body and be detrimental.

This high consumption, of folic acid may affect those very low in B12, if the B12 in this is not absorbed...say if food is present. So conflict of that is also possible. PNers need to pay attention for those reasons.

Normal healthy people with good B12 reserves have less of a negative potential. And how many people actually know their B12 status?
Well reading these boards will give you an idea of that.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 02-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adelina (02-24-2012), Nervous (02-24-2012)