View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile I have had my Aneurysm treated

Hi all, I am from the UK, I had my unruptured brain Aneurysm diagnosed in June 2011, after having a bad dizzy turn at home at the end of March 2011, I hadn't felt well all day in work, the room was going around and I was getting really tired all the time especially towards the afternoon. Also for years I had been getting a pain in my right eye. The outcome was that I ended up in the A & E department of the local hospital with a suspected TIA commonly known in the UK as a Mini stroke, thank god though, it wasn't that, but the A & E doctor had the sense to refer me for a CT scan, which revealed a problem, after a further MRI scan ( I had to wait ages for the MRI scan on the NHS) and a Cerebral Angiography they found the Aneurysm, mine is a fairly wide necked "Dissecting" aneurysm approx 9mm , which is a bulge in the main part of the artery in the A1 segment of the right anterior cerebral artery, in a part of the brain known as "The Circle of Willis".
I was told to by the Neuro doctor to go away and think about whether I wanted to have treatment as that itself has it's own risks, I finally decided I couldn't live with this "time bomb" in my head, so had a Coil Embolisation done on 25 November 2011, I have been off work for nearly a year now, ( but it was not just because of my aneurysm, unfortunately,at the same time I also had a bad dose of sciatica from a previous vertebral disc injury). I am due back in work really soon, I do suffer some memory problems, and have to grasp for words sometime but that is slowly getting better. I just want to tell you that I am glad that I made the decision to have it done. The Coil Embolisation procedure wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, I had a full anaesthetic so didn't feel a thing, the worse bit was having to lie down in bed for 12 hours after, to let the cuts in my groin heal over, even those were just a little nick in the skin. I hope this helps someone in the same position to make a decision. But ultimately only you know if you can "live with it", I know I couldn't.
Daffodil1954 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cass3765 (02-27-2012), Lara (02-25-2012)