View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
In my many years of researching and following journals about concussion and brain injury, I have never read anything about reducing/restricting fats. Quite the opposite.

Where did you read to reduce fats?

Cholesterol drugs are also contra-indicated since they reduce the cholesterol than is important to brain function and healing.

Low cholesterol and dementia are found to be related.

Many of our youth are being improperly deprived of fats during periods of neurological need to the detriment of their brain development. At least the formula manufacturers are focusing on DHA and EPA.

We actually selectively add fats to our diet for its health benefits. Olive oil and coconut oil plus non-homogenized whole milk are our fats of choice.
Mark, The reduction of "unnecessary" (which I guess is pretty ambiguous) fats. mostly saturated fats is indicated in pretty much everything I've seen. Not necessarily in conjunction with TBI ot PCS literature. We do use olive oil in cooking quite often.
It's interesting about the Cholesterol tie-in. I take Crestor for Cholesterol and none of my MD's (including the Neuro) have mentioned it being an issue. Something for me to bring up at my appt. next week. I'll let you know what he says.
What foods help with increased DHA and EPA?
Thanks, wdl
wdl6591 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote