View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi blink,
Welcome to NeuroTalk Support Groups.

Even though you don't remember the accident consciously, you obviously must be affected subconsciously. That's tricky.

I have a problem driving myself, but it's all very conscious for me and my problem is from anxiety and panic disorder. I used to love to drive. One day out of the blue I had a panic attack at the red lights on a very busy intersection. I had my two young children in the car at the time. That turned out to be a trigger for many years after that. I always was safe and I just drove where I had to but it was so filled with terror while I was pretending all was fine. These days I'm just thankful that I'm now living in a small community where I can get from a to b without dealing with too much fear.

If you went out into a farm or field or an empty carpark, would you be afraid to drive then?

I have this old book. It's called "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway". I don't always conquer it, but often I do!

Just curious if you have actual panic attacks that now stop you from attempting to drive at all.

When you said you feel as if you're in a horror movie, do you mean that you have memory of your accident going through your mind like a movie, or that it just feels like a scary/horror movie?

I reckon if one has been in an horrific accident that's affected your health terribly, then it's pretty usual to be afraid. 3 years is a long time though and maybe you need to look for different professional help? Just telling you to get out there and keep driving and the fear would go away reminds me of my ex-husband who used to say the same thing.

EDITED to add...

I logged out but then I remembered the title of your thread. You said Driving/Riding Trouble. Driving I understand, but Riding? You mean on a bicycle or a motorbike or a horse or do you mean any vehicle on the roads?

I'm really sorry to bring this up in case it is traumatic for you to talk about but was the accident in which you were involved a single vehicle accident or were other people and vehicles were involved?

Last edited by Lara; 02-25-2012 at 06:50 AM.