View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New here, not new to bipolar

I have a 15 year old who finally weaned off meds a couple months ago. He still has this but we are working with him to self regulate. He's not high risk for deviant behaviors as he also has aspergers.

I'm writing because my 13 year old son has a much more severe form, borderlines on psychotic. He's on multiple medications just to function. He's had 3 trips to inpatient psych where he manipulates the staff and ****** off the doctors to where they said next time they want him to go to jail, not psych.

Here's the issue. When he takes his meds he's "normal". He's just started refusing the last few weeks. We have had some awful days and they ED room teacher can't even handle him off his meds. Last night I got hurt trying to just keep him in his room so he didn't affect his brothers. I'm divorced, their dad has this too (IMO).

How do you get a big strong 13 year old to take their meds? I'm at a loss. Last night he finally did but only because I said I wouldn't leave him alone until he took them and he was tired and angry and finally did it.

Can we get shots to give them? Does anyone have ideas? He's too smart to bribe, he doesn't take the bait. Up until a few weeks ago he was the kid who knew how badly he needed them and always remembered on his own. I think puberty is playing a huge part of this.

Any ideas are welcome.

Christine
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-25-2012), Mari (02-25-2012)